If you’re reading this, then you’re interested in one of the most influential books ever written about alcoholism and addiction recovery: Alcoholics Anonymous. Technically, the title of the book is Alcoholics Anonymous: The Story of How Many Thousands of Men and Women Have Recovered from Alcoholism.
Big Book Wizard Mission
The Big Book Wizard Mission is create and equip “big book thumpers” around the globe by providing free 12 step recovery resources to individuals who seek to heal, grow, and advocate recovery from addiction.
Who is a big book thumper?
While the precise definition may vary from person to person, my own observations of people calling themselves a big book thumper (myself included) indicates a big book thumper is a person who:
- Believes the book Alcoholics Anonymous is the divinely inspired, complete, inerrant, and authoritative text containing every instruction required for an individual to recover from alcoholism and addiction.
- Commits to understanding the big book for the purpose of utilizing it’s directions in their own recovery as well as for helping others discover how to recover from alcoholism.
What can you do here?
- Read 12 step recovery articles
- Study the big book through our online meeting
- Win a free study edition big book
Who am I?
My name is Derek Stone and the majority of my adult life has been dedicated to the study, practice, and teaching of the 12 step model of alcoholism and addiction recovery detailed in the book Alcoholics Anonymous. While I publicly claim no membership in, nor representation of, any specific group, organization, or institution (12 step or otherwise), I do acknowledge, in a general way, participating in 12 step recovery fellowships as part of my own personal addiction recovery. In other words, I do carry the message of the 12 steps in my personal affairs as part of the directions I follow on how to stay sober.
The boundaries I’ve learned to set
As a life coach in recovery I’ve developed 3 personal boundaries to help me keep the lines clear between professional service and 12 step service. They are:
- Find me at a meeting and ask me to be your sponsor: I will happily give you as much of my time as you need and I will perform this service “for free and for fun”. We may even become friends.
- Find me at a meeting and ask me to be your life coach or recovery coach: you’ll need to have at least 2 years of continuous sobriety/clean time in order for me to consider this.
- Find me online and ask me to be your life coach: I’ll ask if you’re in recovery and, if the answer is yes, see boundary #2.
This served me well for quite some time. However, what do I do with the people finding me online, not qualifying to be my client, and then requesting I take them through the steps remotely? Honestly, I don’t have enough hours in the day to accomplish this, as much as I’d love to.
Big Book Wizard was born as a way to freely provide 12 step recovery information for these people and anyone else who is interested in 12 step recovery. What began as a series 12 step recovery articles meant to address commonly asked questions has developed into a series of online big book study meetings and 12 step recovery videos. These are free (and always will be). There is an option to support me via Patreon, but that is optional and simply helps me offset some of the costs associated with web hosting. So if you find value in what I do and want to “throw a buck in the basket” you’re more than welcome to, but it isn’t required.